Best Lock for Folding Bike 2020: The Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 is the archetypal u-lock and a brilliant budget choice. It’s a practical size and weight and offers good, mid-level (Sold Secure Silver) security for a very reasonable price.
It won’t provide you with the very highest level of protection, but the 13 mm shackle should withstand all but the biggest bolt cutters. It’s very easy to use, comes with a reasonable frame mount and benefits from Kryptonite’s outstanding after sales service.
So, if you’re “Lower Risk” and looking for a dependable u-lock that will fit around almost every bike, this is a great choice.
It provides a very high level of security (Sold Secure Gold) and despite being a decent, practical size, it’s still comparatively light. The 13 mm shackle is cast in a patented parabolic square shape from a special type of steel that’s as strong as the much thicker shackles on much heavier locks.
Best Lock For Folding Bike 2020
#01 – LITELOK Silver
- LIGHTWEIGHT - The world's lightest secure bike locks, 40% lighter than equivalent U/D locks & chains
- SECURE - Resists all common theft tools. Independently tested. Sold Secure Silver and ART 2 rated
- FLEXIBLE - Giving you far more options to secure your bike than rigid U/D locks
- EASY TO CARRY - Multiple options. Carry it in your frame, in a bag or wear it around your body
- SUITABLE FOR - All ages and rides: Leisure, commuting, exercising, errands, family
#02 – Knog Bouncer D-lock
- Most badass mini u on the market
- Silicone overmoulded and plated hardened steel
- Double locking mechanism
- 2 extra strong, high security keys on a cute wrist band
- Bolt cutter resistant shackle housing
#03 – Hiplok Gold
- Tested and given the top Rating by accreditation house sold secure
- Hiplok gold is the ultimate choice for riders looking for the highest level of security in an easy to carry bike lock
- Our maximum security bike lock for the highest risk areas
- 10mm hardened steel chain combines with our 12mm hardened steel shackle Sleeved in a robust impact resistant nylon.
- 85cm locking circumference fully adjustable to fit waist size 28-44"
#04 – Hiplok FLX Compact Wearable Bicycle Cable
- Material: [cable] steel
- Lock Type: cable, light
- Length: 3ft 2.4in
- Claimed Weight: 3.5oz
- Recommended Use: commuting
#05 – Hiplok AIRLOK Secure Bicycle Storage Hanger
- SOLD SECURE GOLD & ART Rated security
- The world's first secure bike hanger
- With a combination of maximum security, effortless practicality and design elegance the wall-mounted AIRLOK is the ultimate secure storage solution for apartment, work place or outside.
- Design & Innovation Award 2018 Winner
- Uniquely coded laser cut key design with replacement scheme
#06 – Abus Granit Extreme 59
- To avoid becoming a victim of bike theft, every cyclist should have a sturdy bicycle lock as standard equipment.
#07 – Kryptonite Keeper Folding Lock 810
- Flexible HARDENED STEEL With 360 Degree Link Rotation
- Compact, EASY TO TRANSPORT On Bike Using Included Carrier
- High Quality Neoprene Cover Protects The Bike
- 6mm HARDENED STEEL chain links
- 95cm long
#08 – Lifeline Steel D Lock
#09 – Hiplok Spin
- Spin Combination Lock
#10 – Abus Bordo Lite 6050
- 5 mm steel wires - plastic coated
- Rattle free carrying opus with non-slip Velcro straps
- 2 keys supplied
- Security Level 7
- Compact, versatile folding technology
Best Lock For Folding Bike 2020
In fact, the Granit X Plus 540 is the lightest, high security, standard sized u-lock available at the moment.
It’s not cheap, but in my full, hands-on review of the Abus Granit X Plus 540 I suggest some great alternatives if it’s not quite right for you. You can also see how it compares to other standard size u-locks here.
With 9 mm links, it’s not the most secure bike lock (Sold Secure Silver), but it offers far more protection than any cable lock. Just keep it as far from the ground as possible to keep it safe from bolt cutters.
This means it can be quite short which is important since the 12 mm links put this chain at the top limit of what is practical to carry around daily.
However, these 12mm hardened steel links also make it very secure for a portable chain lock (Sold Secure Gold).
You can read my full review of the New York Noose 1275 here which includes a couple of alternatives if it’s not quite the right lock for you. You can also check how it measures up to other 12 mm chains here.
Sure, it’s heavier and less secure than the Abus GRANIT X Plus 540 230 which I think is the best all-round bike lock available today. But it’s much lighter than any Sold Secure Gold chain lock.
Read More: BEST SADDLE FOR FOLDING THE BIKE
So if you’re “High Risk” and you need more locking options than a u-lock can give you but don’t want to lug around a massive heavy chain, the AbusBordo GRANIT 6500 could be a very good choice. Read my full, hands-on review here.
Related Tags:- Best Lock for Folding Bike 2020