Best Folding Bike to Travel 2019: A folding bike is a bicycle that can be compacted by folding or separating some of its components. Older designs were primarily for leisure, touring, and commuting. Contemporary folding bikes include sleek road bikes and mountain bikes. They are designed to be as lightweight as possible and can be folded easily without using tools.
London based brand Brompton is the market leader. They offer one frame size, with a range of customization options. Changes can be made to the handlebar shape, frame weight, number of gears, finishing kit and of course color. Brompton bikes feature a traditional 16-inch wheel size and are quick and easy to fold.
Best Folding Bike To Travel 2019
#01 – Montague Paratrooper 24 Speed Folding
- DirectConnect folding system connects front and the rear frame in one click
- Frame size : 16" for riders 4'8" to 5'2" / 18" for riders 5'3" to 5'10" / 20" for riderd 5'11" to 6'4"
- The Paratrooper is great for rough trails, hauling gear, bike camping and recon missions
- This bikes comes with the NEW 4 in 1 RackStand: a Cargo Rack, Mud Guard, KickStand and Work Stand.
#02 – Murtisol Folding Bike 20
- Note: Please tighten all the joints and make sure them locked properly before riding, to ensure a comfortable and safe travel with enjoyment. The Best Easy Commuting Bike: Easy to stowed with handlebars away. Ultra-light material design.
- 6 Speed drivetrain and POWER V-BRAKE assure you 100% Safety and a Stable journey with enjoyment.
- Murtisol offer the bike reinforced HI-TEN FOLDING FRAME, heavy-duty kickstand, quality ALLOY riser bar, HI-TECH THICKENING tires & ALLOY DOUBLE WALL rims, which make it durable and long-lasting using.
- Adjustable Seat Height available for people of 5'1''-5'7'' & Weight capacity: 220LBs.
- We offer 1 year quality guarantee exclude artificial or wrong installation broken.
#03 – Montague Allston Pavement Hybrid Folding Bike
#04 – Aluminum Folding EBike with Pedals
- Elegant Folding E-Bike with Pedal assist, enough power to go around town - Detailed instructions for Folding included.
- This bike comes pre-assembled with high quality alloy frame
- Height adjustable for various heights; Tested and proven with 6.3 FT adult
- 20 mile range per charge and it takes 2 hours to fully recharge the battery. Charger is included
- Foldable bike is equipped with powerful Bafang 36V 250 Wh motor. Frame has been tested to carry up to 270 pounds and can fold to fit inside compact vehicles, small spaces and easy to carry via dragging mode into subway or bus stations
#05 – Camp Folding Bike Aluminum 20” 8 Speed with Quick Release Wheels
- Lightweight folding bikes aluminum frame with Shimano 8 speed gears
- Only weight 25lb If you don't need fold bike rack and fenders (4lb), easy to remove those accessories
- Folds in seconds, uses magnets to latch Camp small folding bikes neatly together when folded.
- Alloy double wall rim, CNC side, wheel with quick release. Colorful portable folding bike cables match the bearing hub color. Make you stand out from the crowd
- Recommended for rider's height 4'8"-6'6"; Supporting rider's max weight up to 240 lbs, for ages 7 and up
#06 – EUROBIKE Folding Mountain Bike
- Brand-new authentic merchandise.
- For a valid warranty please have assembled at your local bike shop.
- Bike is shipped in the Montague's standard and very durable box.
- The included RackStand acts as a cargo rack, kickstand, folded bike stand, and features a built in mud guard.
- Authorized dealer - Montague's warranty of 1 year on parts and their backing on frame's potentially past that date, are valid. Contact them with any concerns as to Warranty.
#07 – Eurobike 26” Full Suspension Mountain Bike
- Upgrade the frame Suspension to make your ride more comfortable,and foldable frame easy to store and carry
- 21 speed Shifters easy to use
- folding bikes for adults,26 inches wheels fits up to 5'3-5'9"
- Dual disc brakes make brakes more sensitive
- The price is affordable. You can compare bicycles with similar configurations. Our bicycles have a high cost performance ratio.
#08 – Retrospec Bicycles Speck Folding Single-Speed Bicycle
- Folding single-speed bike with rear coaster brake perfect for riding around the city, easy to carry and store in small spaces
- Ideal for commuting or exercise on paths that are mostly flat or smaller hills
- Lightweight Aluminum frame is up to 30% lighter than steel or chromoly
- 20" Wheels with Kenda Kwest commuter tires with smooth rounded tread with large water dispersion grooves
- Folding time of 10 seconds with folding handlebar tube, top-tube and pedals
#09 – Happybuy Folding Bike Lightweight Folding Bikes
- 🚴【Light Weight】Lightweighted 16 inch A-Bike only 30 pounds can be taken anywhere, put it in your car or under the desk,in the elevator or put it on the bus Maximum 260lbs
- 🚴【Quick Folding】Folds in seconds,small and exquisite shape is convenient for you to travel
- 🚴【Aluminum Frame】Well made 7000series Aluminum Frame with high tenacity and light weight
- 🚴【Eazy To Storage】Take up very little space in the folding state, fold size 45 x 20 x 9 inch ,You can pack it up with the storage bag that we have
- 🚴【Effortless travel】Seats adjust height 26~38 inch and Foldable body,design to make your trip easier and faster
#10 – Strida Folding Bicycle
- Frame/fork: 7000 Series aluminum frame and fork
- Wheels/tires: 18 inch aluminum wheels and reflective Kenda tires
- Drivetrain: STRiDA special belt drive for 50,000 mile use and internal 3 speed transmission
- Brakes/Cockpit: disc brakes and aluminum parts
- Includes: Kickstand, Rear carrier rack, weight limit of 220 lbs, height range of 4'9"-6'4", and folds to a mere 45.2 x 20 x 9 inches and fenders
Best Folding Bike to Travel 2019
Handlebar shape greatly influences the geometry of the bike. Available options are:
- Brompton M handlebar style: classic Brompton style
- Brompton H handlebar style: offers a more upright position
- Brompton S handlebar style: the more sporty option that offers quick handling
- Brompton P handlebar style: provides multiple hand positions, ideal for touring or longer rides
The bikes take their names from the buyer’s customization. For example, a bike with ‘M’ shaped handlebars, six gears, and mudguards but no rack mount will be a ‘Brompton M6L’. – which weighs 11.78kg.
The folding mechanism here is controlled by a quick release, and our test bike had an aluminum frame and steel fork. We had a single-speed version, but Montague does offer versions with up to seven hub gears. The bike has a claimed weight of 12.7kg.
An aluminum frame with a 7 speed Shimano Tourney gear system and v-brakes. This bike comes fitted with metal mudguards and a rear pannier rack already installed: it’s a commuter from the get-go, but could also make a solid touring option.
Market leaders Bromptonspecialise in steel – using their renowned high-quality brazing techniques to ensure that the frame welding provides the lightest yet strongest bond possible. Steel is resilient and comfortable – but it’s not light and they’ve moved into titanium for higher-end offerings to offer a more featherweight alternative.
A high number of brands opt for aluminum, selecting the popular frame material for its balance between weight and resilience.
For those who really want to splash out, there are carbon-framed versions available – such as the LIOS Nano, which comes in at just over 8kg. Though using carbon will make for a super-light folding bike, it is easier to damage than aluminum, which is worth bearing in mind as many folders live a hard life being lugged on and off train platforms.
Read More: BEST FOLDING BIKES FOR TOURING
- Full size, 700c wheels
- Folds in 20 seconds
- Weighs in at 24 lbs
- 19 or 21-inch frame
- Ease of switching between cycling and public transport
- Ease of storage in your home
- Security of not having to lock the bike outside (it can sit under your desk at work!)
- Ability to take the bike on holiday – popular with caravan users and canal boat holidayers, some can be packed into airline luggage
- Ideal for those who enjoy touring but want to jump on a train, boat or car without too much hassle
- Most are built with resilience and simple maintenance at front of mind
Related Tags:- Best Folding Bike to Travel 2019