Best Folding Bike for Long Distance 2019: The Brompton is probably the most popular folding bike for touring. These bikes are popular because they have the smallest fold and are of very high quality. They are made in London, have 16-inch wheels, and are designed to be used as city bikes for use with public transportation.
Drawbacks to Brompton bikes are that they have a lot of proprietary parts which may need to be specially ordered when they wear out. They are also expensive. Expect to pay $1200-$1500 for a touring capable Brompton.
A whole community exists of people bicycle touring on Brompton folding bikes. Check out the blog the Path Less Pedaled for some great info on touring with a Brompton.
Another excellent resource for information on Brompton touring is The Brompton Traveler. This site is full of videos, reviews, recommendations, and ride reports all about traveling with a Brompton folding bike.
Best Folding Bike For Long Distance 2019
#01 – Vilano 20″ Lightweight Aluminum Folding Bike Foldable Bicycle
- 20" Lightweight Aluminum Frame
- Safety Latching Mechanism
- Twist Grip Shifter (6 Speeds)
- Best Value Aluminum Folding Bike
- Free Fenders and Rear Rack - Included & Intalled
#02 – Stowabike 20″ Folding City V3 Compact Foldable Bike
- Ideal for use as a commuting bike
- Easily folded and stored in a compact size
- 20" steel folding frame
- 6 speed Gear System
- Built-in rack for carrying your goods
#03 – Schwinn Hinge Folding Bike
- The Schwinn Hinge folding bike is designed to fit a wide range of riders with a suggested maximum rider weight of 220 pounds. Ditch headache-inducing traffic and bike to work with this convenient single-speed folding bike
- With a sturdy steel frame, 20-inch alloy wheels, and a convenient folding system, the Schwinn Hinge is easy to carry, easy to fold, and easy to store. Includes one folding pedal and one regular pedal for easier storage and folds down to 30"x32"x11"
- Commuting with the Schwinn Hinge folding bike is quick and easy with the 1-speed drivetrain that allows you to coast when you need a break
- The Schwinn Hinge folding bike comes with full-wrap fenders to keep you clean and dry while riding and the included rear carrying rack is perfect for your work bag.Pedals:Resin platform w/ reflector
- This bike comes ready to be assembled, includes a thick nylon storage bag, and is perfect for urban commuters and city riders. Comes with Schwinn's Limited Lifetime Warranty
#04 – Dahon Folding Bikes MARINER
#05 – SwagCycle Pro Folding Electric Bike
- Robust and foldable; the e bike's sturdy frame can support up to 264 pounds and collapse its stem and handlebars for easy storage
- Extreme torque; tackle speeds up to 18 mph via app optimization and climb inclines up to 12 degrees on a powerful zero emission motor
- Long lasting charge; a single charge lets you traverse up to 15. 5 miles of thrilling adventures and new discoveries
- App control; connect your iOS or Android with the Swag Cycle 2 app to track your trip, speed, GPS location, and more
- USB port; plug your mobile devices into the electric bike's USB port to stay fully charged wherever you go
#06 – Schwinn Adapt Folding Bicycle Series
- The Schwinn Adapt 1 folding bike is designed to fit a wide range of bikers. Ditch headache-inducing traffic and bike to work with this convenient 7-speed folding bike and included rear carrying rack.
- With a lightweight alloy frame, 20-inch alloy wheels, and a convenient folding system, the Schwinn Adapt 1 is easy to carry, easy to fold, and easy to store.
- Make biking anywhere a breeze with the bike's seven gears, Shimano twist shifters, and Shimano Tourney rear derailleur.
- The Schwinn Adapt folding bike comes with full-wrap fenders and reflective side walls for increased visibility.
- This bike comes ready to be assembled, includes a thick nylon storage bag, and is perfect for urban commuters and city riders. Comes with Schwinn's Limited Lifetime Warranty.
#07 – EuroMini ZiZZO Heavy Duty-300 lb
- Strong 300 lb. Capacity - All Light Weight Aluminum Alloy - Frame, Handlebar, Stem, Seat post, Kickstand, Head set, Front & rear hub, Crank set, V-style brakes, Front and Rear Fenders and Cargo Rack
- Genuine Shimano Tourney 7-speeds Derailleur, Shimano Tourey 7-Speed Grip Style Shifter and 11-28T 7-Speed Cassette Gears
- Adjustable stem adapts to riders of all sizes from under five feet to over six feet three
- Double Wall rims, Multi-terrain tires and Magnet catcher to hold folded bike together
- Folded size: H-27" L-31" W-12.5. Weight: 28 lbs (Lightweight Folding bike): Maximum weight capacity 300 lbs.
#08 – HASA Folding Foldable Bike
- Frame: Alloy Folding Frame , Cone-Shape Head Tube, 20"x14" = 50.8cm x 35.56cm, Fork: HASA CR-MO Fork 20" x 28.6 x 25.4 x 100mm
- Stem: Alloy 25.4mm x 28.6 x 350mm Folding, Height from Ground to Handlebar: Lowest: , Highest:
- Handlebar: Alloy Flat Bar 560mm Long, 6 degree, 25.4mm, Seatpost: Alloy 34mm x 550mm
- This model is one size fits all. Fit riders 4'8" to 6'3" in height. The seat post is whopping 550mm long to accommodate all sizes. We recommend that a rider's weight be under 240 lbs.
- Shifter: SHIMANO TOURNEY ASLRS35R7AT
#09 – Eurobike Folding Bike TSM G7 Bicycle
- Disc Brake System - Provides long lasting and stronger fasting stopping power than the traditional V-Brake Systems.
- Fashion design and 27.5 inches Aluminum rims.
- Multiple choices give you a colorful ride experience
- Recommended for rider's height 5'4"-6'0". Max weight up to 300lbs
#10 – Montague Paratrooper Highline 20 Speed Folding Mountain Bike
- DirectConnect folding system connects front and the rear frame in one click
- Frame size: 18" for riders 5'7" to 5'11" / 20" for riders 6'0" to 6'4"
- The Highline is great for rugged mountains, weekend getaways, rock gardens and cross country riding
Best Folding Bike For Long Distance 2019
- Folding bikes are free to fly with-As long as you can pack the bike down into a package with dimensions totaling less than 62 inches (158 cm), and weighing less than 50 lbs (23 kilos), the bike will fly as a regular checked bag. This is the biggest benefit I have found to folding bikes. I have read through dozens of airlines baggage policies to determine how much it will cost to fly with my non-folding bike to various destinations. Each airline is different. On average it costs between $100-$200 each way. Some airlines charge much more. I have heard of people being charged up to $500 to fly with their bike. Checking a folding bike will usually be free for international flights or $25-$50 for domestic. This allows you more options when buying airline tickets because you don’t have to take into consideration the cost of flying with the bike. Of course, some airlines are cheaper than others for flying a full sized bike. For example, Alaska Air will fly your bike for only $25. Some airlines will even fly it for free.
- Folding bikes can be taken on buses, trains, and in taxis-Even if bicycles aren’t allowed, you can simply fold up the bike, slip it into a bag, and nobody will know what it is. This makes it easier to skip boring or dangerous sections while touring. I love trains and ride them every chance I get. Touring on a folder would allow me to enjoy train travel whenever I want.
- You can explore more places more easily with a folding bike-For example, maybe while you are touring you decide that you want to take a cheap flight to a nearby island or another country. With a folding bike, you can just pack it up and fly hassle free. If you tour on a full-size bike, this side trip may be cost-prohibitive or impossible.
- Folding bikes are more likely to be allowed in hotel and hostel rooms-Many hotel managers don’t want bikes in the rooms. While understandable, most bicycle tourists don’t like these policies. Because folding bikes are much smaller and can even be stored away in a large bag, it is generally less of a problem to bring the bike into the room. This allows extra piece of mind not having to worry about your bike while it’s locked up outside or in a storage room where who knows who has access.
Read More: BEST FOLDING BIKE FOR WOMEN
- Folding bikes are easier to pack up for transport-For flying, you don’t need to go through the hassle of finding a full sized bike box. You can just make an appropriately sized box by cutting and taping smaller boxes to size. For ground transport, you can just carry a folding bike bag and store the bike inside of it when taking a bus or train. For example, read abouthow I box my mountain bike for flight. It’s a hassle.
Related Tags:- Best Folding Bike for Long Distance 2019